Well.. I think it’s safe to say that February takes the cake for one of the most depressing months of the year! Being a midwestern girl, I’m used to the long winters, but these last few months always seem crawl by.
After Fashion Week I decided (or life decided for me) that I needed a little mental break to refocus and declutter. Trying to keep up with work, bills, chores, to-do lists, and other responsibilities can feel pretty exhausting and overwhelming. And when you hit a speed bump going 100 mph, it can completely throw your life off balance.
I always have to remind myself that that’s the key to contentment, balance. But finding the right balance and keeping it up is the hard part. With spring right around the corner, it’s the perfect time to get a head start on some much needed ‘spring cleaning’. Here’s how I’m decluttering my head, home, and heart this season:
Clearing my HEAD
- Catch up on adulting by getting a head start on taxes, planning things further in advance instead of waiting until the last minute, and making it a priority to get things done on my to-do list that have been on there for probably 6 months now.
- Other random things: make sleep a priority, be realistic about my daily to-do list, wake up earlier and go to sleep earlier, set realistic goals.
Decluttering at HOME
- I have this thing where I can’t concentrate on ANYTHING or think clearly unless my room is clean, my office is organized, and my suitcase in unpacked. It definitely holds me back a lot of the time, but I’ve found that I’m so much more productive when my space feels organized and it’s not lingering in the back of my mind.
- Clean My Closet – there are few things more gratifying than an organized closet. Things I’m doing this week: get rid of anything you can’t remember the last time you wore it, shoes that are out of style, and old coats/outerwear taking up too much room. Donate or sell things you don’t need!
- Organize my bathroom drawers – I got to the point where every time I attempted to get ready for the day I’d spend SO much time just looking for things in my drawers. Organize them and KEEP them clean.
- Workspace – whether you work from home or you have an office elsewhere, decluttering your workspace is so important. If your job requires any type of creativity, you NEED a clean space that promotes a clear and creative mindset. Plus, it always just helps when you can find things quickly and avoided unnecessary stress.
Refocusing my HEART
- Make prayer a priority every single morning. The best way to start your day is to express your gratitude and ask God to guide you through every step of the day (because you and I both know we aren’t getting through it without Him, talking to YOU my fellow control freaks).
- Church. Every. Sunday. No excuses. (Soul City in Chicago is amazing, just started going!)
- Forgive people. Grudges can take up an unhealthy amount of space in your heart. Please watch this sermon if you’re struggling with this.
- Have someone in your life that holds you accountable for staying on track with keeping your heart and spiritual relationship on the right path.
If you’re reading this and you feel like you’ve been running on empty, use this post as the sign you’ve been needing to refocus and declutter. Give yourself a little pep talk, make a plan of action, and get back on track. Spring is the perfect time to do some cleaning in all areas of your life. Comment below or on this Instagram post with other things you’ve found to be helpful when it comes to decluttering, I’d love to hear from you guys!
PS – how cool is this honeycomb structure in Lincoln Park?? If you live in Chicago you have to take a walk through here – there’s a perfect view of the John Hancock and other skyscrapers downtown through it’s arch! | Pics by my girl Aesthetiica